Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reality Bites

I'm going to be realistic about David Ortiz's inclusion on the list of baseball players that tested positive for performance enhancing drugs (PED's) during the 2003 season. I am assuming that this New York Times report is accurate.

I am a big fan of Ortiz. His rise as a player for the Red Sox in 2003 coincided with the team's ascension to winning two World Series. Does this "tarnish" those two world titles? Yes. Just like the careers of Sosa, McGwire, Palmerio, Clemens and Bonds have lost some luster after their use of PED's become known. Does Ortiz look foolish following his comments earlier this year when Arod's name was leaked? Absolutely. Do I feel sorry for Ortiz? No. Am I less of a fan now? No. Should any of us be surprised by this announcement? No.

I am of the opinion that there is not one player from the past decade who I would guess never used PED's. There have been all kind of players named in the Mitchell Report or otherwise "outed"; middle relievers, sluggers, closers, light hitting shortstops, starting pitchers, European - Americans, Latinos, African-Americans, good guys, bad guys, you name it. Realistically, who is more likely to have taken PED's Schilling or Papelbon? Papelbon, but that does not mean he did. Still would you bet your life on the fact that either of these guys never took PED's. I wouldn't.

I do not consider Papi a bad guy.

I am in a profession that does not pay for performance (that is for another blog). Let's say I am an artist. If I knew there was something I could put into my body that would make me a better artist and thus allow me to provide financial stability for my family, I would take it. In 2003 baseball did not test for steroids. Be realistic!!! You take three or four cycles of steroids. You get into the weight room and build strength and muscle endurance. You recover quicker from injuries. You feel better about yourself. You perform better. Now instead of being a free agent player, you get a multi-year contract totaling $40 million. This is what Ortiz did. Whether or not he said something like, "everyone else is doing it, why not me?" I don't know but I'll tell you this -- If there was something I could take that would make me produce a painting that will
fetch a million dollars at an auction, I would do it. I am sorry that, I AM NOT SORRY.

Is that cheating? Yes, but look at how many minor leaguers have been suspended since drug testing has been administered. Those guys are trying to make a living. I may be in the minority but I understand where they are coming from. Arod takes the juice to prove that he is worth $252 million. Is there a difference? To me, yes. Clemens did not take PED's so that his wife and kids could have a good life. He took them because he is a competitive s.o.b. that wanted to win. I'm sure Papi is at least in part the same way. However, Ortiz will not be another ARod or Clemens.

I am nearly certain that he will take responsibility for his actions. Ortiz will not blame his cousin. Or say he did not know what he was taking. Or deny it and deny it some more. Can you imagine Papi saying that he had some medical issues that were private? I hope he stands up and says, "I took PED's because I wanted to get paid. The Twins released me and I thought the Red Sox were my last shot. I apologize to my teammates, management, the fans and most importantly, the game of baseball. I am not proud of this and am embarrassed that I made a poor judgment and had a moment of weakness." Be realistic, could you fault him? No testing! Yes, steroids are and were illegal at that time. It is all about risk -reward. Was it worth it to him?

Lastly, would you admit to doing something that you knew was wrong but were pretty sure you had gotten away with some six years ago? Really, think about it. That list of those who failed the 2003 drug test was supposed to be concealed. If you were Ortiz and saw that Arod's name was leaked, would you had stood up and said, "Yeah, I took PED's at that time too." I am not a strong enough person to do that. If I was Papi I certainly would not have made the comments he did concerning penalties for users. He should have kept his mouth shut.

John Wooden once said, "A true athlete should have character, not be a character. " David Ortiz made a mistake and his image will suffer due to showing a lack of character. His standing among major leaguers and his place in the game will now forever be questioned. He should ask himself "was it worth it?". We should ask ourselves, would we had done it? Be realistic. The true test of character is what we do when no one is watching.

2 comments:

afraus1 said...

Well said...... But let’s call a spade a spade here: Papi is just as guilty as A-Rod, Canseco, Palmiero, Rocket and who ever else you can think of. He cheated plain and simple. I see no difference between what he did compared to the rest of his peers. At the end of the day he got caught using drugs, and then lied about it, all while acting holier-than-thou and chastising other players who were caught before him.

Philip said...

Fraus - I agree but what I was trying to say was that Papi's motivation may have been $$. Those other guys seemed to be more about glory.

BTW -- Ortiz's comment (one year suspension and he would let down his family, team,etc) this year after ARod was caught was precluded by saying "what happened, happened". He was denying use.

In the end, it is a sad day in baseball and a disappointing day in Red sox Nation.