Saturday, August 2, 2008

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

I have been away on vacation the past couple of days, my apologies for the lack of a post.

We need to step away from baseball for a post because I had an urgent request from a reader.

Dear Dr. Phil:

I am still in love with my partner of the past eight years but am finding it more and more difficult to put up with their constant lack of consideration for my feelings. This situation seems unmanageable. Do I hold on and try to make this work? I really feel that we have enough to make one more go at it.

Please help me.

Frolicking at the Fens

Dear Fens'


Sometimes the best thing to do when in a relationship that is not working for either side is to sever ties completely. You may think you and your partner can relive the glorious days gone by but quite simply there is too much baggage.

You know your significant other far too well. You remember when they were not there for you when they were desperately needed. You recall how they "quit you" back in 2006. Recently, you see how they treated your elderly grandparent when they did not get their way. Before that they even got physical and slapped a trusted friend. How about their appearance? They seem to not care about how they look and have come far too complacent. To top it all off, they say things like; "you don't deserve me", "I just want to know where I stand", "I'm sick of you. You're sick of me", and "You are trying to paint me as a bad person". All of your sweetheart's co-workers have had enough of the unprofessionalism, laziness, selfishness and the "I don't care how the company performs"-ness.

What to do you do? You get rid of this person. You two had a great run. Many happy times that will be forever captured in the digital camera that is your heart and soul will remain but it is time to move on. You know both of you will be better off without each other. Your former significant other had some qualities that will be impossible to replace but you move on.

There might be a nice Canadian that just moved in down the street. He or she is from the Niagara Falls region your friends wouldn't know them. This person may not be what your ex is but they can fill the void. I only hope your ex does not hook up with your hated rival next spring. Seeing someone you had such strong feelings for at least nineteen times in the arms of another that you have such animosity for would be almost too much to bear.

Yours in all that is love,

Dr. Phil

4 comments:

Josh Walsh said...

Awesome post Dr. Phil! I love the obscure reference! Road Trip, right?

Hapi for Papi said...

Nope, The Breakfast Club

Josh Walsh said...

Yeah, that's right...the library scene.

Phil Orbe said...

Hapi with the good call. Pretty quoteable movie. By far Anthony Michael Hall's greatest acting performance. Sixteen Candles is a popular choice but was he really acting in that movie?