Thursday, April 3, 2008

Personal Letter to Jon Lester

Dear Mr. Lester,

It is with sincere pleasure that I write to you this morning. I have not been the biggest fan of yours over the last four months. It was my hope that the Red Sox organization would come to their senses and trade you and Jacoby Ellsbury for Johan Santana.

While many baseball evaluators see you as a "top of the rotation" starter of the future, I never felt that way. Please don't get me wrong, I rooted for you vehemently your rookie season and even more as you recovered from your battle with cancer. However, a chance to get the best lefthander pitcher in baseball for two young, unproven players was too tempting for me not to wish for. Josh Beckett and Santana (signing him to a long term deal is not my concern because it is not my money) back to back would quite simply not be fair. The organization has finally learned winning championships is all about pitching and defense.

That being said, I loved watching you pitch yesterday. You were far more confident than your first start over in Japan. While I'm still waiting for you to get ahead of the hitters, you seemed to finally "get it". Great job challenging the A's with your fastball and not nibbling when you were down in the count. Let that solid defense work for you. You made it look easy yesterday.

In closing, Mr. Lester congratulations on the impressive performance. Please do not hold it against many of us that wanted that trade to happen. Good luck the rest of the way and as of right now I am overjoyed that Theo did not make that trade.

Sincerely,

All Sox Blog

P.S. I reserve the right to change my opinion after your next start.

1 comment:

lustin' for dustin said...

Lester gets a pass from me for coming back from cancer as well as his World Series performance.