Sunday, April 20, 2008

Fenway

Saturday night's game was a great one to open my season attending Sox games. On average I'll go to about six or seven games.

In my biased opinion, the Red Sox playing at Fenway is the best atmosophere at any sporting event in the world. I've been to South Bend to watch ND-Michigan, Wrigley Field, the Metrodome, old and new Boston Gardens, Texas Stadium, Foxboro (old and new stadiums), Camden Yards, Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, the Meadowlands and Madison Square Garden.

Camden Yards is my favorite stadium but Fenway is electricity. Even last night in 45 degree weather it was such a thrill. The loudest I have ever heard a crowd was 2004 ALCS Game 5 versus the Yanks. Ortiz's walk off single after nearly 5 1/2 hours made that place erupt. Last year's ALCS Game 7 versus Cleveland was intense and staying late watching them celebrate was also a lasting memory.

No other venue sells out like Fenway. We all know how difficult to get a ticket is, but when you do it becomes an event. I don't care if they are playing Kansas City. Finding the secret, free parking spot, buying nuts from the peanut guy (with the peanut earrings), smelling the sausages cooking, walking through the concourse and getting your first view of the green grass, being part of the buzz of the crowd, yelling "Youk", chanting "Let's go Red Sox", dodging the peanut vendor's erratic throws, singing "Sweet Caroline", screaming for Papelbon as he enters to Wild Thing and then that Dropkick Murphys song from the Departed and finally walking out with the crowd after a thrilling victory -- all this cannot be duplicated. It is pure 100% Fenway.

I can remember going to games when the home team was not very good. I concede that it wasn't as exciting but it was still memorable. My earliest memory was going on a bus trip with my Dad, uncle and friend of mine. Sox were down by three with two out in the 8th. Next two guys get on base and my father turns to me and says, "Dewey is taking this guy deep". I look at my uncle and he shrugs. Of course, Dwight Evans goes over the Monster to tie the game. Sox ended up losing but I didn't care it was a great night.

I would like to hear from anyone that has a Fenway story or another venue that they think measures up to Fenway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visiting Fenway for the first time is like a religious experience. I attended with two of my college buddies, one being a Sox fan, the other Yankee fan. We had bleacher seats, and walking up the stairs and then seeing the green centerfield grass reminded me of that scene in Hardball when the little kids get their first glimpse of Wrigley.

It was a twins game, but my buddy still wore his Yankee shirt. He sat next to me, and I got pelted in the back of the head with misfired peanuts the entire game. The fans in the bleacher seats are really from a different planet. Nothing, and I mean nothing, if off limits for their harrassment.

Sox were losing by 7 runs going into the 9th, so the field cleared out. We moved behind the Sox dugout and got up close with Manny and Nomar who took turns in the on deck circle.

I agree that Camden is the best place to watch a game, but Fenway to me, is the best ball park I have ever been to. I am not a Yankee fan, but sitting at Yankee Stadium is amazing for historical reasons. I had box seats, 7 rows up from 1st base and bleacher seats in New York. The fans in the bleachers at Boston do not 'outclass' the Yankee fans; at least from my experience.

Phil Orbe said...

You're right sitting at Fenway or Yankee Stadium and imagining Ruth, Williams, Mantle, Yaz and everyone else playing on the same field that you are sitting at cannot be put into words. I sat a couple of rows near the red seat at Fenway that marks where Teddy Ballgame hit a ball and it was pretty amazing. History