Monday, June 16, 2008

All Star Voting

The Sox look to be well represented at this year's MLB All -Star Game. Currently, five of our guys lead at their respective positions; Jason Varitek (catcher), Kevin Youkilis (first base), Dustin Pedroia (second base), Manny Rameriz (outfield) and David Ortiz (designated hitter).

Voting closes on July 2nd. Fans may vote on line (www.mlb.com) up to 25 times. The guy that needs the most support form Red Sox Nation is Varitez who holds only a 30,000 vote advantage over Minnesota's Joe Mauer.

As Al Capone (I always thought Boss Tweed said this) said, "Vote early and often".

6 comments:

Loby said...

It just shows the obsession saux fans have with online voting. Cracks me up Mr. Orbe that you would literally vote 25 times! And who is Varitez, or Rameriz???

bil said...

I love the Sox, but is Ortiz really having an all-star year?? I can't vote for him. & is loby suggesting going back to only voting at the ballpark or mail in votes? Still no good for those small market teams.

Hapi for Papi said...

Yah the obsession the nation has with online voting is almost as bad as the obsession one team has with a t-shirt buried under concrete in their new ballpark. A report that said team initially denied by the way. Oh how times have changed.

Phil Orbe said...

I did not and do not plan on voting 25 times. However, I would rather see Red Sox players than others.

I agree with bil concerning voting at the ballparks and mail in votes -- no good for the little guys.

No perfect system. There have been guys with worse seasons than Ortiz who have started the game.

Trivia -- Only league MVP not to make an All Star game?

Legend02 said...

Trivia answer: Kirk Gibson..... That's easy just like Jimmy Whispers. What movie?

Phil Orbe said...

Hmmmm ... I'm not going to cheat by using Google ... torn between Bronx Tale ("Jimmy two times" scene) and Goodfellas ... both in my top 15 of all time favorite movies ... I also remember a character in Dick Tracy that whispered ... I'm going to go with Goodfellas ...