Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bore and snore

I've been thinking about this one for for the last couple of weeks: Are the 2010 Red Sox boring?

Let's look back at the team over the past ten years. Remember the days when Pedro pitched? That was an event. How about Nomah? We know the story didn't end well but he was one of the most beloved players the team has had in my lifetime. Who can forget the self proclaimed "idiots" of 2004? Millar, Damon, Schilling, Ortiz and that crew were certainly good players but were also characters that held our attention. There was no greater character than Manny Ramirez. Say what you want about his high maintenance style and idiot savant tendencies but it made for must see viewing.

Currently, the roster is loaded with solid citizens and talented players. Youkilis, Pedroia, V Mart, Ellsbury, Drew, Clay, Lackey, Lester and Beckett all seem to be "good" guys that play the game the right way. But aside from Pedroia's bravado (we only hear about this from beat writers) where's the interest? Do these guys make us watch?

I exclude Papelbon because to me he is the one guy that to me is must see. He has electric stuff and the persona to match.

Personally, I have only watched one game in its entirety this season. That was the opening night win over the Yankees. In an effort to maintain full disclosure, I must mention two things. Number one, I was at Fenway for the season opener. Number two, I also went to two other games at Fenway and did not stay for the whole game (one was the suspended game). I have yet to make it through watching a game from my couch.

Granted, it has been a busy spring but still. We add Cameron, Lackey, Beltre and some relievers that are uninspiring. I can't believe I miss the "drama" at Fenway. Did Manny really just go into the Monster and miss a pitch? Did Millar have the guys do a shot of Jack before games in the 2004 playoffs? When will Pedro cut those geri-curls? Will the marbles in Johnny Damon's mouth fall out when he is being interviewed? I truly miss the good ole days.

No comments: